Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Week 1 in Iringa

Well I have been in Iringa for one week now and here are a list of my first impressions:

- Its a small town of about 100,000 or so
- Everyone is friendly and wants to chat with me, in Kswahili. As you know i don't know Kswahili. I know about 10-20 words so at least they get a good chuckle when i say hello, how are you, or count to 4 for them at the shops. (mjeyo, mbili, tatu, nne, 1,2,3,4)
- The Staff at the high school are very kind and caring, they are trying hard to attend to my needs on the first few days i have been here. I am staying in someones home and they are taking very good care of me, I am eating better than i usually do back home (I dont eat bachelor food every night)
- Iringa does not have many amenities, restaurents, coffee shops, places to go and unwind, and unless you know how to barter or speak Kswahili, My trips in town have not been very useful. They might be more useful the longer i stay here.
- There are two nice restaurents that we have visited while i have been here. One place is really special. All the workers are deaf, and if you want to order something you have to write the order on a piece of paper and then try to show the waitstaff what you want, many times, the item you selected is not available so you go through your own sign language to order something, its actually very bonding. And since i dont speak Kswahili, its very neat to communicate in other forms.
- At the school there are over 700 kids from all over Tanzania, and some kids that are from Kenya, Uganda, and two kids from India whose parents have lived here their whole lives.
- There is a basketball court, a volleyball net, and a very large soccer field (one of the better ones in Iringa, although they dont cut the grass/shrub). I have played in a couple of scrimmages, and watched some inter-class and inter-school matches. The girls dont play soccer here, they play net ball.
- The 700 students are broken up into 7 different grades
Pre-Form I (kids that have no english and need to have prep before they enter grade 8)
Form I (Grade 8 back home)
Form II (Grade 9 back home)
Form III (Grade 10 back home)
Form IV (Grade 11 back home)
Form V (Grade 12 back home)
Form VI (Grade 13 US)

There is also O-Level (ordinary) and A-Level (Honors Level)

They study most subjects we have back home, Geography, History, Math, English, Computer Class, etc. They also have a mandatory religions class, and the Baha'i kids also do lots of activities, including a mandatory Junior Youth Program.
- My first Computer Tasks are as follows

Figure out how Windows 2003 Server Security work (Paul, if you are reading this, msn me, maybe you can step me through this. hehehe) I will also be building Access databases to centralize all the Schools data. They currently have all the data in many different spreadsheets on different computers.
- The computer lab has 20 working computers and about 10 computers that need something to make them work (UPS, moniter, keyboard, cleaning, new hard drives, etc.)
- I also plan on teaching the Staff more complicated stuff like Excel and Access and how to use the more powerful tools on the computers.

Anyways until next time, I hope this gives you a better insight of where I am in the world, and what i am up to.

If you want to email me use ozamani9@gmail.com
If you want to msn me use ozamani9@hotmail.com (add me to your contacts)

please click the comment after each post, and let me know what you think so far.

Cheers
Omid in Tanzania

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Omid, good to read about your experiences and see what you've been up to. Iringa sounds like a good size city, and the school's educational structure seems very similar to here. I'm sure the longer you stay there, memories of Lattes and machiatos will fade into the distant past as other priorities fill your time. Enjoy :)

Phillipe Copeland said...

Thanks for the updates about your adventures.

Anonymous said...

Friend of mine from toronto, might be heading to tanzania to teach people about their mail software product. not sure what city to, but seems quite certain. american girl with dreadlocks of german origin
pavel

Anonymous said...

How cool! I just came accross your blog while searching for some long-lost contact details on the web ... anyways, I grew up in Iringa between the years 1988-1993 and then went back in 2001 to volunteer for a year at the School for the Deaf, just out of town. I'm intrigued by your mention of the restaurant staffed by deaf persons - could you tell me more?! Good luck with your kiswahilli, kazi njema!

Mark Leong said...

The restaurant staffed by the deaf sounds like the one at Neema Crafts - see http://www.neemacrafts.com/ for more info.

Unknown said...

This is so weird, I was with Fi at the Deaf School in 2001. I was also looking for contact info. I guess the world wide web is a small world after all! I hope you enjoyed your experience in Iringa. Top place.

Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , perhaps curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may start earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The firm incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with structures everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a proper partner who uses your funds in a right way - that`s the AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ypoqabyp.1accesshost.com/ipykexi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi!
You may probably be very interested to know how one can make real money on investments.
There is no need to invest much at first.
You may begin to get income with a money that usually goes
for daily food, that's 20-100 dollars.
I have been participating in one project for several years,
and I'm ready to let you know my secrets at my blog.

Please visit blog and send me private message to get the info.

P.S. I make 1000-2000 per daily now.

http://theinvestblog.com [url=http://theinvestblog.com]Online Investment Blog[/url]